Conlin abuse allegations highlight debate over statutes of limitation

Dec 24, 2011 by

The four people who say veteran Philly sports writer Bill Conlin sexually assaulted them in the 1970s are far from the only ones to make such claims against someone decades after the abuse allegedly occurred.

Conlin’s accusers told their stories to Gloucester County prosecutors last year but found that New Jersey’s statute of limitations won’t allow authorities to charge him criminally …

The Newark Star-Ledger on Dec. 16 focused on the bill in reporting that 45-year-old Richard Fitter of Montclair is touting it in trying to bring to justice the priest he says molested him in early 1980s.

Fitter’s attorney, Greg Gianforcaro, told the Ledger New Jersey courts make it “very, very difficult, if not impossible” for victims to bring abuse cases to trial, when they must show discovery of an abuse/trauma connection within the current two-year limit.

Likewise for any civil lawsuits, so far. Read the Full Story here.

Related Posts


Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>